Claims Examiner -Traditional
Direct handling of moderate severity PD and BI claims and coverage and/or liability issue claims throughout the United States involving state specific laws and regulations. Will work with the supervisory staff to conduct mentoring opportunities for the claims staff.
- Investigate new claims, make liability decisions, apply comparative negligence where applicable and negotiate settlements.
- Recognize coverage issues and work with supervisor to resolve.
- Establish case reserves within company guidelines.
- Refer law suits to properly approved defense attorneys and direct their handling, including authorization of discovery plans and expert retention.
- Expense control of fees from independent adjusters, defense attorneys and other vendors.
- Recognize the various state laws, regulations and claim handling compliance.
- Document claim file notes clearly summarizing all correspondence and activities using factual and objective data.
- Respond to time sensitive material including settlement demands, intercompany arbitration hearings and insurance department complaints.
- Maintain a current diary on all open claims.
- Respond to phone messages on the day they are received.
- Attend mediations and trials as required.
- Other duties as assigned by the claim supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university with three years experience handling moderate to high severity bodily injury claims, preferably with 2 or more years experience in the public transportation or commercial liability field.
- Working on an AIC or similar designation a plus.
- Ability to read and interpret legal documents, insurance policies and medical reports and billings.
- Ability to compose letters, emails, reports and comprehensive file notes.
- Ability to verbally negotiate with claimants and attorneys.
- Dual language ability a plus.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Must be able to interpret policies, perform analytical research and investigations and make sound judgments from date and records collected.
- Must have strong analytical and reasoning skills.
- May involve work outside of normal hours to meet deadlines and/or personal performance objectives at employee's discretion.
- Required to participate in after hours emergency phone rotation in one week increments 1 or 2 times a year.
Reports To: Claims Supervisor
Job Level: 7
Number of Openings: 2
|Submit Your Resume|